Since the medical laboratory technology profession emerged in the late 1920s, Indiana clinical laboratory workers have actively sought to strengthen and improve the laboratory workforce.
Paul H. Adams of Fort Wayne, Indiana, became the first medical technologist in the nation registered by the ASCP in 1930.
In 1933, the Indiana Laboratory Association formed in September at a meeting at French Lick, Indiana. Membership consisted of pathologists, persons with 3 years of graduate work in laboratory sciences, and approved technicians as defined by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists.
In 1933, the American Society of Medical Technologists was founded.
In 1935 the Indiana Laboratory Association was renamed the Association of Indiana Pathologists and the associate membership level (technicians) was discontinued.
In 1941, the ASCP Board of Registry moved from Denver, Colorado to Muncie, Indiana, under the directorship of pathologist Lall Montgomery, MD. The first Muncie office was located in a cottage across the street from Ball Memorial Hospital. In 1962, the BOR relocated in a new office building in Muncie. It remained there until the office moved to Chicago in 1969.
In 1947, Miss Rachel M. Lehman was elected president of the American Society of Medical Technologists.